Had a Gruesome Greens smoothie packed with spinach, kale, apple and ginger and a scoop of Ultraclear for breakfast, which seemed to help settle the stomach, and some more soup with some buckwheat flat bread (using the recipe on the back of the packet) and hummous for lunch. Have realised to my amazement how little I was missing bread, hadn’t really thought about it or craved it since the first couple of days apart from when the children were having toast – now that really was a killer, the smell of fresh toast smothered in butter….. mmmmmm! Not long now – just 3 more days…..
Tonight is a friend’s dinner party to celebrate her birthday and I was looking forward to seeing everyone and showing off my new svelte and blooming self, I have even managed to fit into one of my favourite old outfits which I had pretty much given up any hope of ever fitting into again (though had kept it at the back of my wardrobe just in case…..). Given that it was such a special occasion, one that had been in the diary for ages. I decided in advance that I would allow myself a glass of wine and not to be too fussy about what I could and couldn’t eat (within reason). After all my friend would had gone to a lot of trouble to cook a delicious spread and I am definitely not one to impose any self-appointed ‘dietary requirements’ on anyone, preferring to surreptitiously remove or avoid any offending foods on my plate (much to the embarrassment / amusement of my family when I pick out all the raisins and sultanas – yuk! from fruit scones or hot cross buns!). I will let you know how I got on in my next post….
Have realised I haven’t mentioned anything much about the supplements. Although diet is the cornerstone of this Metabolic Detox Programme, what makes this Detox Programme so effective and stand out from all the rest are the Nutri Advanced supplements. Nutri Advanced are a leading specialist supplement company who produce high quality, effective and well researched, therapeutic strength, practitioner prescribed supplements, I regularly recommend Nutri Advanced supplements to my clients with great success. Now, there are quite a few of these to take and you do feel as though you are rattling around with all the pills and powders, however they have all been specifically chosen to help support the liver and digestive system and to encourage optimal detoxification and are vital to the success of the programme. They include:
- UltraClear Plus pH metabolic food – this is a powder which you mix with water or juice / smoothie to make a ‘shake’. It contains well-researched nutrients, vitamins and herbs to balance and support the body’s detoxification pathways and liver function.
- Psyllium and Apple Pectin – contains soluble fibre and probiotics (friendly gut bacteria) to support optimal digestive function and toxin clearance.
- Metalipoate – Contains lipoic acid, an antioxidant required in detoxification and to protect against oxidative stress. It also can support blood sugar balance thereby helping to reduce sugar cravings, energy dips, light-headedness and irritability associated with blood sugar imbalances.
- NAC – N-acetyl-L-Cysteine is a powerful antioxidant which supports detoxification processes and protects against oxidative stress.
- Celapro - Celapro is a combination of herbal extracts and phytochemicals that provide synergistic and targeted protection from free radical damage. It helps to promote the function and healthy aging of cells, in addition to supporting detoxification processes and optimal gut flora balance.
The UltraClear Plus pH is the first powder ‘shake’ I’ve ever had. I have always never really seen the point of shakes / protein powders as they are usually full of synthetic nasties, and also why take them when you can have fresh food, fruit and vegetables which taste and are so much better for you. It comes in two flavours – Vanilla, and Pineapple and Banana. I went for the vanilla one which I thought would be less likely to taste synthetic.
So it was with much trepidation that I tasted my first ‘shake’ – ‘yuk!’ Was my first thought (yes my instincts were right, it did taste pretty artificial), this was quickly followed by ‘how on earth was I going to get through two whole weeks of this stuff’. However, after a bit of trial and error (using really cold water, adding it to juice and smoothies, or holding my nose whilst gulping it down in one), I found I started to get used to it (definitely helped by the cold water), and by Day 7 (the start of the liquid days in which you have three servings) believe it or not I had actually grown to like it!